Cork loss dashes home quarter-final aspirations

Cork 1-12 Galway 1-10

Olivia Divilly (left) of Galway in action against Sadbh McGoldrick of Cork. The Tribeswomen lost out to the Rebels despite Divilly's first half goal.

Olivia Divilly (left) of Galway in action against Sadbh McGoldrick of Cork. The Tribeswomen lost out to the Rebels despite Divilly's first half goal.

The Galway ladies' football team will need a victory against Laois next weekend to progress to an All-Ireland quarter-final.

They succumbed to a 1-12 to 1-10 defeat to the Rebels in MTU Cork last Saturday, in what was a nail-biting encounter between two evenly-matched sides. The loss means that Cork take a home quarter-final instead of Galway and Laois.

Galway are currently in second place out of three in Group 3 of the All-Ireland Championship. Daniel Moynihan's side do boast a far superior points difference than their prospective Leinster counterparts. Hence, if the fixture ends in a draw then Galway will progress. However, the Tribeswomen will be looking to win and carry momentum into the knockout rounds of the competition.

The sides will clash in Duggan Park, Ballinasloe, at 2pm on Sunday, June 23.

Match report

Ava McAuliffe fisted the game’s opening score and Katie Quirke doubled Cork’s lead from a free shortly after. Galway's Nicola Ward then put the westerners on the scoreboard prior to an excellent McAuliffe effort.

An entertaining opening spell concluded with Emma Reaney firing over to make it 0-3 to 0-2.

Cork’s attacks were then met by solid Galway defending, but Daire Kiely made a marauding run from defence to expertly split the posts.

That was their opponents’ cue to up the tempo as Olivia Divilly and Leanne Coen efforts levelled matters. Ava McAuliffe and Leanne Coen exchanged points as the scores kept coming.

Then came a major turning point as Cork captain Màire O’Callaghan crashed a shot off the upright. Galway cleared the danger before Emma Reaney handed the Tribeswomen their first lead.

Ròisìn Leonard increased the Connacht team’s advantage from a free, prior to Galway forcing a turnover and working the ball to Olivia Divilly. The Kilkerrin-Clonberne forward instantly arrowed a vicious shot into the top corner to make it 1-7 to 0-5.

A pair of converted Katie Quirke frees left a goal between the sides at half time at 1-7 to 0-7.

Quirke and Divilly converted frees at either end to kickstart the second half. Cork’s direct running was met by stern Galway defending throughout the third quarter. The Rebels’ back six were equally proficient making scores harder to come by.

Katie Quirke saw two frees fail to find the target amid increasingly windy conditions. Galway also wasted chances before Quirke added her fifth point. Goalkeeper Dearbhla Gower bravely denied Cork a goal but was powerless to prevent substitute Hannah Looney from netting to make it 1-9 to 1-8 after 47 minutes.

Quirke and Ailish Morrisey swapped points to keep the bare minimum between the sides with 10 minutes left.

The next score would be crucial and Rachel Leahy notched it. Katie Quirke pushed a resurgent Cork three clear before Ailbhe Davoren made it 1-12 to 1-10 in the dying embers.

The Rebels had further chances but held on for a two-point victory - and a home All-Ireland quarter-final berth.


Page generated in 0.1741 seconds.