Stalemate dents Galway's progression prospects

Galway 2-15 Wexford 2-15

The Galway Senior camogie team registered a draw against a tough Wexford outfit on Saturday in Enniscorthy.

Galway will be hoping that injuries to Niamh Hanniffy, Niamh Mallon, Roisin Black and Mairead Dillion can be cleared up in time for their clash against Down next weekend in Pearse Stadium.

It was the visitors who started the brightest with points from Niamh Mallon and Carrie Dolan. Joanne Dillion hit back in the 2nd minute with a point for the model county. Dolan hit her second of the day a minute later. Ciara O’Connor through a free and Aoife Donohue through play swapped scores to leave two between the sides after 6 minutes.

There was a long hold up in the game due to a serious knee injury to Wexford captain, Ciara O’Connor. Anais Curran put Wexford into the lead in the 19th minute when she found the back of the net for Wexford. Dolan hit back with a free but Chloe Foxe and Curran replied with two more points to leave a deficit of two between the sides.

However, in the 23rd minute a long ball in from Niamh Kilkenny was blocked down by Laura Brennan in the Wexford goal. Mairead Dillion was alert and stuck the ball in the back of the net to restore Galway’s lead. Two more Curran frees and points from Niamh Niland, Niamh Kilkenny and Aine Keane before the end of the half meant the Galway went in 1-8 to 1-6 ahead at the half time break.

Galway would have been hoping to start the brighter of the two teams after the interval, but Wexford proved difficult to shake off. Curran and Dolan swapped frees at the beginning of the half. Curran then scored another free, with Linda Bolger bringing the sides level by the 40th minute. But Dolan responded with two frees for Galway to leave the tribeswomen two ahead yet gain.

Foxe got one back for Wexford in the 46th minute, but in the 49th minute Donohue found the back of the net for Galway. Hence, it looked like the westerners may have found their get out of jail free card.

However, Foxe, who was proving a handful for the Galway defence, responded a minute later with Wexford’s second major of the day. This left one between the sides. Donohue and substitute Orlaith McGrath replied with points for Galway in the 50th and 51st minutes. Curran and Donohue swapped scores in the 52nd and 54th minutes.

While Galway substitute Sabina Rabbitte hit a point for the tribeswomen on the hour mark, points from Emma Dempsey, Shelley Kehoe and two Curran frees either side of Rabbittes score meant the sides finished deadlocked on 2-15 a piece.

This may come as a setback for the Galway side. While a quarter final spot is still possible, in order to make it straight into the semi finals, they will need to win all of their remaining games.

They will be hoping that they can get as many players back from injury for their test against Down in Pearse Stadium on Saturday.


Page generated in 0.1933 seconds.