Davitts find form in final round

There was a double header in Killimor on Sunday in the final round of games of the Windows and Rooflights Senior A Championship when Davitts took on Craughwell and Athenry took on Mullagh.

Davitts recorded their first win of the championship with a 1-12 to 4-8 victory over Craughwell in the first of the double-header in the final round games of the Windows and Rooflights Senior A Camogie Championship.

A strong second-half performance paved the way for Davitts who were behind by 0-8 to 0-3 at half-time.

Davitts had opened the scoring through Lorraine Farrell with a point, but Craughwell hit back to take the lead. Ciara Hickey replied with a point on the 15th minute mark to bring the sides level for the third time in the half. However, Craughwell dominated the final 15 minutes of the half, keeping Davitts scoreless while also adding five points to their tally through two Ciana Reidy points, one free and one point from play from Freaney and a point from Chole Allen to leave it Craughwell 0-8 Davitts 0-3 heading into the half-time break.

Reidy started the second half as she finished the first with a well taken score from play on the 32nd minute. However, Davitts mounted their comeback with two points through Hickey, a free from Hanley and goals through Siobhan Coen on the 38th minute and Claire Blake on the 41st minute to leave Davitts 2-6 to 0-9 ahead.

Craughwell did not give up. Two minutes later Jade Welton found the back of the Davitts' net, while Freaney replied with two points from play. Aisling Donnellan replied with a point from play on the 47th minute to reduce the deficit to one. Coen added her second major in the 53rd minute while Chloe Farragher followed up with a point to give Davitts a three-point cushion heading into the final five minute. Freaney replied with a point, but it was Emily O’Hehir who had the final say when she pulled on a ball around the Craughwell goal mouth and it ended up in the back of the net as it finished Davitts 4-8 Craughwell 1-12.

There was a titanic battle between Athenry and Mullagh in the second game in Killimor on Sunday. Athenry opened the scoring inside the opening minute with a well-taken point from Eimear Keane before Mullagh replied with a Rachel Monaghan free and a point from Aoife Donohue. A miss-hit free by Sabina Rabbitte ended up in the back of the Mullagh net for the only goal of the game, giving Athenry the lead.

Athenry enjoyed a 1-3 Mullagh 0-4 lead midway through the half and five unanswered point through Noreen Coen, Rabbitte and Dervla Higgins put them ahead at half-time by 1-8 to 0-6.

Mullagh started the second half strongly with points from Monaghan and Tegan Canning, but Rabbitte extended the lead for Athenry with three frees between the 35th and 37th minutes. Monaghan added another free to her tally, but two more Rabbitte frees and a point from Therese Donohue left it Athenry 1-14 Mullagh 0-10 heading into the final quarter.

Monaghan through a free and Donohue from play reduced the deficit to five by the 47th minute, and although Athenry were reduced to 14 when Olwen Rabbitte was red carded, Athenry finished winners by 1-17 Mullagh 0-14.


Page generated in 0.2308 seconds.