Strong finish ensures another win for Ardrahan

Ardrahan remains unbeaten after three games, having overcome Davitts in Mullagh in the senior club championship at the weekend.

Davitts, without some key players, including Katie Anna Porter who suffered a knee injury in their last game, opened their tally through Chloe Farragher in the second minute before Shauna Healy and Aoife Lynskey posted a point each for Ardrahan.

It looked good for Davitts when Fionnuala Hanley scored the opening goal in the sixth minute, but Ardrahan responded with two Ava Lynskey points, two Caoimhe Lynskey points through frees, and a point from Helena Tarpey to leave it Ardrahan 0-7 Davitts 1-1 with 13 minutes gone on the clock.

Ciara Hickey ended Ardrahan’s scoring spree in the 19th minute, while Alannah Kenny followed up with Davitts' second goal to leave them in the driving seat. But once again Ardrahan responded with points through a Caoimhe Lynskey free and points from Tarpey and Healy before Hickey finished the first-half scoring to leave it Ardrahan 0-10 Davitts 2-3 at half-time.

Catherine Hanley brought the sides level with a free on the 32nd minute before Roisin Cahill and Farragher swapped scores. However, Ardrahan kicked on again with three Caoimhe Lynskey points, two from placed balls, a point from Aoife Lynskey, and a goal from Ava Lynskey to put them seven points ahead at the midway point of the half.

Hanley and Farragher replied with two points to reduce the deficit to five, and after a Caoimhe Lynskey free for Ardrahan, Farragher and Hanley again kept Davitts' hopes up with eight minutes remaining. However, Ardrahan finished strongly with points from Caoimhe Lynskey, Alisha Quinn and Helena Tarpey, while Davitts managed two from Hanley to leave it Ardrahan 1-20 Davitts 2-11.

Sarsfields in shock

Athenry caused the shock of the weekend when they overcame Sarsfields by eight points in sweltering conditions on Sunday in Kilbeacanty.

Sabina Rabbitte opened the scoring for Athenry with two frees in the opening four minutes. Caoimhe Kelly replied with a point from a penalty and one from play to leave the sides deadlocked before Rabbitte, through a free, and Noreen Coen brought Athenry back into the lead.

Kelly replied with another free to leave one between the sides before a long free from Dervla Higgins bounced perfectly for Coen at the edge of the square, who kicked the ball into the back of the Sarsfields' net.

Rabbitte continued to extend Athenry’s lead with five frees and with Coen adding another point, they led 1-10 to 0-3. It was 16th before Kelly added to Sarsfields' tally. Olwen Rabbitte, through play, and Kelly with a free swapped scores at the end of the half to leave it Athenry 1-11 Sarsfields 0-5.

It was nip and tuck between the sides for the opening 11 minutes of the second half. Rabbitte and Coen extended Athenry’s lead further, but just before the water break Sarsfields gave themselves a lifeline. Orlaith McGrath and Shannon Corcoran posted points, and a Kelly free reduced the deficit to eight.

However a Rabbitte free and point kept Athenry comfortably in front, and although Kelly and Corcoran added to their side's tally, points from Coen and Therese Donohue helped maintain Athenry's comfortable lead. Klara Donohue did get through for a goal at the finish for Sarsfields, and almost added a second, but it was well defended by Laura Freeney in the Athenry net as won 1-18 to 1-10.

Craughwell and Carnmore were looking for their their first victories when they met in Killimor on Sunday, and it was Craughwell who prevailed by 1-11 to Carnmore's 0-10.

Craughwell started the strongest with two Leanne Freaney points before Alannah Fahy replied with three scores for Carnmore.

Freaney, who was Craughwell’s top scorer on the day, replied with two more points, and a Chloe Allen point put them two in front before Fahy, Carnmore’s only scorer of the half, replied with two. However, Craughwell finished the half the strongest with points from Freaney, Vivien Blaine and Ciana Reidy for a 0-8 to 0-5 lead.

Carnmore's Jennifer Hughes and Freaney exchanged points before Fahy struck two for Carnmore to leave the minimum between the sides. Grace Leen for Craughwell and Fahy for Carnmore ensured it was anyone's game heading into the final minutes, but crucially it was Craughwell's Jade Welton whose goal proved decisive and when Freaney added a free, there was no way back for Carnmore despite Fahy's best efforts.

Senior B Championship

St Thomas' overcame Kinvara in their final group game, having enjoyed a blistering start, scoring 2-5 without reply.

Points from Orla Mullins, Siobhán Mullins and Aine Keane opened this contest before Orla Mullins scored St Thomas’ first goal in the sixth minute, and followed up with a point a minute later. When a second goal from Aine Keane was followed by an Aoife Brennan point, it looked all over for Kinvara.

However after Lisa Shiels scored Kinvara’s opening point, she took on the St Thomas’ defence and struck a goal and another point, which was followed by an Ellen Birmingham score. Eimear Bergin prevented a St Thomas' goal, but from its deflection Sarah Healy was able to score.

Shiels struck two more points for Kinvara, before Orla Mullins, Bronagh O’Driscoll and Aoibheann Barry added to Kinvara’s tally, but St Thomas’ had the final say of the half when Aine Keane broke through for a goal in the 30th minute as St Thomas led 4-6 to 1-6.

St Thomas' dominated the second half, scoring nine points without the reply between the 31st and 61st minutes - seven points through Aine Keane, and points from Elaine Tannian and Lorraine Coen to keep them well in the driving seat. Ella Bergin scored a free with the last puck of the ball for Kinvara, but it was little consolation as St Thomas prevailed by 4-15 to 1-7.

Clarinbridge win again

Clarinbridge made it three wins from three in their group as they overcame Salthill Knocknacarra on Sunday in Kilbeacanty.

The city side started the brightest with points from Sorcha McGinley and Laura Kelly. However, Aoibhe Carr found the back of the net for Clarinbridge in the third minute to give them a one-point lead.

Salthill Knocknacarra responded well through Aoife Kelly and Aoibhe Joyce, and Lauren Butler brought the sides level in the 11th minute, before Aoife Kelly edged Salthill Knocknacarra back in front with a well-taken score from play. Laura Kelly added two more points to give them a three-point cushion, and when Niamh Niland bagged her first score in the 32nd minute, Salthill Knocknacarra led 0-7 to 1-2.

Clarinbridge, however, proved stronger in the second half. hitting six points without reply - four points from Carrie Dolan and one each from Niland and Siobhán Carr, which left it Clarinbridge 1-8 Salthill Knocknacarra 0-7 after 40 minutes.

Laura Kelly ended Clarinbridge’s scoring spree with a point on the 41st minute, but Clarinbridge hit back again with two Aoibhe Carr points and one each from Niland and Butler to leave them seven points ahead with 15 minutes remaining. Laura Kelly replied with a free for Salthill Knocknacarra, but Clarinbridge hit another 1-2 without reply to extend their lead even further. Points from Dolan and Niland and a goal from Niland on the 52nd minute made it look like Clarinbridge were in full control of the game. However, two Laura Kelly goals, one through a penalty and a point from play brought the deficit back to four. However it was not enough for Salthill Knocknacarra as Clarinbridge


Page generated in 0.2148 seconds.