Heartache for Athlone Town as Waterford FC strike late to claim Lissywollen draw


Jamar Campion-Hinds opened the scoring for Athlone Town on Friday night last with an eye catching long range left footed strike.Photo by Eoin Noonan/Sportsfile

Jamar Campion-Hinds opened the scoring for Athlone Town on Friday night last with an eye catching long range left footed strike.Photo by Eoin Noonan/Sportsfile

An injury time goal denied Athlone Town a crucial win as Waterford FC claimed a draw in Lissywollen on Friday night last.

A brilliant strike from Jamar Campion-Hinds in the opening half had Athlone Town in front as the winger scored yet another spectacular goal from long range and the slender advantage was still held as the game headed into stoppage time, but Waterford FC struck in the third additional minute to salvage a point.

Connor Parsons had the first chance of this contest but home keeper Enda Minogue saved the shot. Frantz Pierrot had the Town’s opening opportunity on four minutes but his strike was deflected behind for the first corner kick of the game. Athlone continued in positive fashion and, after Campion-Hinds had an initial shot blocked, the follow up effort was put over for another corner. Campion-Hinds was creating lots of problems for the Blues and saw his cross from the right caught by the keeper. Another right wing cross picked out Pierrot but his shot was blocked.

Waterford earned their first corner on 19 minutes with Athlone forcing another midway through the half. Moments later Serge Atakayi had a good chance to open the scoring on a counter attack but saw his goal attempt blocked.

Waterford conceded first with 29 minutes played after losing possession to Athlone. Campion-Hinds took advantage to cut inside and fire an unstoppable strike to the roof of the net. A buoyant Town team came close soon after when Michael Peprah sent a free kick over the bar. Waterford then sprung back to life as half time approached. Roland Idowu had a shot blocked and in the first additional minute, Ronan Coughlan thought he had equalised when a cross from the left fell to him as his rising strike looked set to hit the net but Minogue tipped the ball over.

Waterford dominated for long spells when play resumed but could not prise open the home defence. Atakayi had the first chance when firing over with a corner soon following. Athlone were content to soak up the pressure but Waterford were proving disappointing. The next action did not occur until 28 minutes into the half when Town’s Dan McKenna blasted over. Idowu fired over for the Blues with Aaron Connolly also off target at the other end.

Idowu was again wide after 36 minutes but Peprah was more accurate for Athlone when his shot was pushed away by the keeper. The home team had a stroke of luck after 41 minutes when the woodwork came to the rescue. A cross from the left picked out Blues sub Christie Pattisson but his header across the goal bounced off the post and back into play.

Athlone then had a great opportunity to seal victory having escaped earlier. Campion-Hinds again cut inside but, when facing Sam Sargeant, shot off the keeper at the expense of a corner. Five additional minutes were indicated and Waterford took full advantage to grab an equaliser on the 93-minute mark. A long ball forward saw Athlone try to clear, but Cameron Creswell availed of the indecision to fire a low shot past the keeper’s right to the net


Page generated in 0.1173 seconds.