Dominant display earns Athlone Town vital brace of league points in Ferrycarrig Park


John Dingle

Athlone Town had all the hard work done in the first half in Ferrycarrig Park on Friday night last as the visitors claimed a vital brace of league points with a wholly merited win over Wexford FC.

The visitors opened the scoring but James Keddy’s men quickly got back on level terms. Athlone went back in front just before the half hour mark while two more goals in the last five minutes all but secured the win before the break.

The home team earned the first corner kick after eight minutes while Patrick Hickey had Athlone’s first chance when having a header saved. Athlone then opened the scoring on 21 minutes. Wexford lost possession and when Jamar Campion-Hinds gained possession he took full advantage to fire a fabulous long range effort to the top corner of the net.

The lead was only to last for five minutes as Aaron Dobbs got the better of Enda Minogue when he fired home from the right edge of the penalty area. Athlone soon recovered and were back in front on 29 minutes. New signing Dan McKenna set up Frantz Pierrot who slotted past the keeper from twelve yards range.

The remainder of the half was dominated by the Town as they all but ended the game as a contest by the break. Two more corners followed either side of a Campion-Hinds volley from the right which cleared the bar.

Wexford had no answer to the attacking strength of Athlone and Campion-Hinds set up the third Town goal four minutes before half time. The cross from the right picked out Valerii Dolia at the far post and he shot to the net off the keeper from close range.

A fourth goal followed three minutes later with Campion-Hinds again the provider. Another inviting ball was sent in from the right and Matthew Leal, coming in at the far post, slotted home. Wexford had the last chance of the half but Mark Hanratty’s long range effort flew wide in stoppage time.

Barring a complete collapse, Athlone had secured all three points when play resumed. The hosts tried hard but Athlone were comfortable and only had to endure one anxious moment. Dobbs had the first chance when play resumed but the hour mark was reached without any further noteworthy incident.

Both teams then had chances to score. A free kick on the edge of the penalty area after 62 minutes afforded Daragh Levingston the opportunity to reduce the deficit but Minogue got down well to push the ball away from the goal. A minute later Pierrot had the chance to make it five for Athlone but his attempt drifted just wide of the post.

Dobbs then saw his shot on the turn just clear the bar while, following a good run, Campion-Hinds saw his effort saved by the home keeper. Wexford pushed for a consolation score but Athlone finished the half on the attack by forcing two corners in quick succession.

New signing Michael Peprah could have capped a dream introduction with a goal in stoppage time but the headed effort was pushed over the bar by Charlie Heffernan.


Page generated in 0.0968 seconds.